Saturday 24 December 2011

Me and Bob - Christmas Message

Because Christmas is so different this year I have been acutely more aware on really how lucky I am.  Life is full of twist and turns and we never really know what is round the corner or know how we will be able to handle trauma and stresses.  There are so many people out there who are having a hard time over Christmas for so many reasons, and at this time of year when you are almost forced to be happy it can dampen your whole spirit. 

In some parts of our world people are dealing with just surviving with wars, hunger, extreme violence and heartache and how much do we think of them as we are tucking into our turkey or opening our presents.  Across the world the economic turndown has brought homelessness, unemployment and poverty making some people’s Christmas more about worry than happiness. And then there are those who are alone capturing memories of Christmas past, grieving for lost family, depressed and sad full of regrets.

All this makes me think about how much I do have, the love and support around me, friends, family, more than enough food to eat, presents and laughter – and good available medical care for dealing with my cancer.

I handmade most of my cards this year and wrote a little poem to remind myself and others about the true reason we celebrate Christmas and to try and capture that Christmas spirit, that fuzzy warm excited feeling you get usually on Christmas Eve:

Angels smile and on high sing
Candles flicker, bells joyously ring
Little lights twinkle, that feeling so warm
As we celebrate our Saviour born

So as Christmas time comes round once again
Through the darkest months our hearts aflame
With giving and receiving with love and joy
Celebrating this extra special birthday

 But even as I wrote this, I realise that I do so little to help and am really quite selfish, one who has so much while others have so little.  I thank God for those people, who do go out and volunteer, give their time and think and help others – they are blessed people.

A prayer I came across the other day summed it up personally for me although I would like to add, please guide me to be able to help those less fortunate than I – for lest we forget there for the Grace of God.

Heavenly Father, I come to you as humble as I know how
I confess my sins, those known and unknown
Lord, you know I am not perfect and fall short every day
I just want to take time out to say thank you
Thank you for your mercy, thank you for everything I do have
I realise that this life I’m living is full of trials and tribulations
But thank you for not putting more on me than I can bear
We must go through the storm to appreciate the sunshine!
Amen

I don’t talk about my faith that much, but it is my faith that has got me through some of my darkest days and whatever faith you have I hope that you find it uplifting when in times of trouble.   

Next year after concentrating on my cancer recovery, housing and financial needs (still many worries myself) I do so hope that I will be able to be in a position to help some of those less fortunate using my skills and experiences and in the best the way God wants me to help.  I hope to find more inner spiritual peace and calmness, and 2012 is an opportunity for me to change things, to prioritise the things that really matter, learn from the journey I have taken this year and move forward.

So as I just begin to feel that warm fuzzy Christmassy feeling as the inspirational light comes back into the world on such a special day, it just leaves me to wish you all a happy Christmas wherever you are, whoever you are with and hope you can capture some of the joy and charity of the Christmas spirit that can be found within all of us.

Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall inherit the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment